On race morning this year, we were greeted with clear sunny skies (no fog!), minimal winds, and perfect temps. What a treat!
The swim course goes around the Santa Cruz Wharf. I love ocean swims with beach starts, and swimming around the Wharf is one of my favorites. During the swim, I managed to find a girl who was right around my same speed. It was really nice having some feet to follow for most of the swim.
![]() |
| Beach starts are the best! |
![]() |
| Swimming around the wharf! |
T1 at the Santa Cruz Tri is pretty unique. After exiting the water, you have to run somewhere around 1/3 mile to the transition area at Depot Park. I don't mind the run, but when your feet are numb from cold ocean water, you have to be extra careful when running over train tracks, curbs, and sidewalks. :-)
The bike course was mostly rolling hills: up and back Highway 1. For the first 20 miles, I was mostly riding by myself. I was passed by a few guys, but no girls. Then, around mile 20 (or maybe a little after), a girl passed me. A quick glance at her left calf told me that she was in my age group... and it was on! We went back and forth a few times for the remainder of the bike.
![]() |
| Starting the bike |
![]() |
By this point, I was pretty certain that the two of us were racing for the overall win, but I had no idea what kind of runner she was. In light of that, I decided to stick with my original plan for the race: start out just under 7:00 mile pace, and speed up from there. The run course at Santa Cruz goes along a bike path, and it's pretty easy to see who is ahead of you. The gap was a constant 30 seconds for the first half of the run.
At the turnaround, I started to pick up the pace. I saw a guy on a bike who appeared to be giving her updates on how far back I was... so I knew she would be running hard. As we raced to the finish, I felt strong and smooth, and I could tell I was gaining on her. I didn't want to go too hard and blow up, so I kept gradually increasing the pace. My high school cross country team's motto started going through my head: "Let's Go Fishing"... reel her in...
As we approached the finish line, I could hear people cheering for her and then for me. I gave it all I had, but it just wasn't my day. She took the win by 9 seconds.
![]() |
| Digging deep... |
![]() |
| (Photo courtesy of Sonja's dad) |
After crossing the finish line, we hugged, and chatted a little bit. It turns out that her name is Sonja, and she grew up in the town where I currently live. We also have quite a few triathlon friends in common, and I have a feeling we will be seeing more of each other in the future... horray! :-)
The Santa Cruz Triathlon was one of the most enjoyable races I've done all year. The venue was beautiful, the course was fun, and I got to really RACE someone for the win. As if that wasn't enough, I was able to come away with a new friend. I love the community in this sport!






No comments:
Post a Comment